Orientation Week

Day 1

Thanks to Yllika, a recent reader of this blog, for telling me what time I should be there. Here's the list of activities given to us for this week's long orientation.



They should've given this when I completed my requirements, but now is fine, regardless.

I could have gone at a later time since it started at 10 am. Boy, I was so bored waiting for something to happen. I wanted to mingle around, but I'm still awkward the way I am. It seems like most people know someone. I heard of things like passing the board exam, nursing rotations and stuff like legit pre-meds would be involved with.

I had this seatmate, an incoming second-year transferee student, who is from Silliman University. We were awkward at first, but when I asked her some questions, she started talking non-stop. It was good though because I earned a friend in the first day. She also adds to the scare speeches of the speakers in front. She said that it's impossible to absorb all materials, how to obtain anatomy references by capturing photos of the cadaver's organs (she showed me some), and how I should be ready to fail all the time. She didn't fail in her final grades though.

I thought it would start out boring, but it isn't. I couldn't remember any names too like Yllika's experienced. I was sleepy and bored AF that morning. The speakers were funny and humble. I thought that they'd be making their speeches formal. All the speakers are part of the faculty.

There were two doctoras who spoke and they always found a way to make it seem funny. They were brilliant and dork-ish at the same time. I loved it.

The dean was speaking in Bisaya most of the time. The previous speaker reminded her to speak in English, and she responded with, "Paunsaon man pag English ato?" Everyone burst into laughter, me included.

So, SWU-MHAM is now deprecated. I now go to school at MHAM Incorporated. OBE, Outcome-Based Education, is also now being used. I remembered where this term was first introduced to me by a teacher in Baguio that I really hated. O-oh.

I also saw one of my childhood bullies. She was sitting in the last row like she always does. Yes, it's a she. I saw her again when I left the photocopier, waiting outside the gate of MHAM, smoking with a smug face and her gangster-like squad. They were all from my hometown too because I heard them speaking in our dialect. I'm still wondering why she would pursue this path, and why MHAM? She must've gotten a low NMAT score. WTF is she going to do with patients? Poison or terrorize them to death? I really can't see in any part of her that would like to serve humanity.

I'm trying to forget the bunch of them, but damn, the same school again?!?!?!?!?!

Day 2

If I hadn't watch Game of Thrones last night, I wouldn't be so sleepy.

Basically, the speaker today was so boring. He ran through details about school policies, which is almost similar in every school I've been to. Though, things here are pretty basic, except for the fact that failures in the final grade and absences can lead to expulsion when severe.

August 13 is the foundation day and that's also when we should start using our white uniforms. Tahi-anan told me I can get mine on August 17. Now, there's the problem. The very first of this school year.

We have a wash day but still, a student council regulated attire. Basically, we wear their shirt and a slacks or khaki pants. Totally didn't expect jeans to be forbidden on wash days.

Some school recognized organizations were also introduced by a PRO of the student council. In the sports category, there will be an inter-school MEDLYMPICS on October. I guess that happens every year. I've seen it on Facebook somewhere.

I also went to Tahi-anan to inform the tailors about the start of using uniforms. They said to just follow up with a phone call on August 1. The lady I talked to haven't really found my name on the log book because it could be in a different log book, the other lady said. Regardless, they both agreed to dispense it before August 13.

Day 3

There are two productive things I did today; getting my book from ate at the photocopier and went to school for my study load and ID.



I got my study load, which contains my ID No., first inside the registrar, instead of outside the window. Ma'am K was so nice to assist me with that. I had to write that ID No in the form to have my ID made. You can bring a photo for the ID or they will take your picture up front in the IT department. I requested to just send a scanned photo to the IT guy, and it's okay.

That was it. The IT guy, Vince, told me that the IDs are probably going to be released next week. The names will be displayed on the bulletin board for those IDs that are available to procure.

In my observation, no one wears the khaki pants or slacks. Maybe, we freshmen are going to do the same. Most students wore black jeans.

Now that I'm making my schedule on a spreadsheet, I'm lost, unless they mean that some of these hours are night classes. I hope I can clear this out tomorrow.

Day 4



I finally cleared it out with my classmate. Basically, he passed me a picture of the final schedule he took from the bulletin board. Makes me think that the only purpose of the study load was to know my student number. That classmate is now our vice president of the class.

As usual, we started late. We were few at first at 8 o'clock sharp, but eventually, the room was packed. We were grouped and had some activities(games). The whole day, it was just games. Not that I'm complaining. On the contrary, I wish it was like that every single day. It was so much fun playing with strangers lol.

Most of my classmates are females. 1/4 of the class are males.

We also had our class election today, which I didn't expect. I expected it to wait for some time until we get to know each other enough. Then I remembered, time is against us.

Remember the classy girl I talked about in my previous? She's actually just very confident and jolly. I like to be around her and the rest of my group mates. I think my group mates were the best companions I've had today. I don't know if they can say the same thing about me because I was just sitting there quiet and laughing at their jokes whenever. Mr. VP is also in my group. Our group was named 'threesome' by classy girl. I was really baffled why she chose that name and thought that she was just joking about it.

In the afternoon, we still played some more games. There was no teacher intervention today, and maybe even tomorrow.

We also took our class picture just before the class election. Today was really more of team building. I wish they'd still be my team in SGDs.

Day 5

We were no longer grouped together today which is sad.

The student council headed the presentation again, and they mostly shared about how to survive in med school.

As I've gathered, the speakers were scaring us about Anatomy rather than Biochemistry. I thought Biochemistry is the hardest first-year course. It's also been mentioned that it's good to have a Medtech friend in courses like Histology and Parasitology. It will be a breeze for them.

One speaker really captured my attention. She was talking about happiness. I totally related to what she just said. She was in a different school, but she didn't mention the name. At that school and time, she was feeling depressed, pressured to pass all the time, and was brokenhearted. She didn't feel happy anymore and her dream to become a doctor was lost. She hated every day that she has to wake up. At the end of that school year, she has decided to transfer to MHAM. She was really overjoyed with that decision. She's now the student council VP.

She said, "Happiness Matters" at the beginning. That really hit me, because I've always thought about that. My family, mostly, would think I'm impractical for transferring in many different schools. I didn't feel happy and I didn't know what to reason because I know for a fact that they will not take happiness as an equation for solving my problem. In my last undergrad university, I was content and happy, hence I was able to flourish, and so did Andrea, the Ms. VP.

The most overwhelming part of what was said is that we're to read books 5 times. I'm not sure if it was an exaggeration of sorts, but I'm not sure I'm capable of that yet.

There was also some orientation about the APMC-SN, which is an association for us, medical students. We're now automatically part of it. It's the official voice for medical students world wide. The medlympics, medgroove, and medrhythmia were also introduced, as well as the school organizations.

Just this evening, I received a text message from our PRO.



I can only say, "WTFFFF." Daghan kaaayo pages, mga 180. I don't reckon reading this much pages in only a couple of days.

In Moore's, Chapter 1 starts on page 71 and ends on page 180. It's a total of 109 pages. The pages 1-70 is only an introduction/overview of the entire book. Already wasted some time reading, but it was actually really helpful with new terms. In Guyton's, Chapters 1-5 consists of 71 pages. Both books cover a total of 180 pages.

Comments

  1. Just ignore them.If cannot be help then sumbong mo.πŸ˜… Hahaha don't worry when the school officially starts who knows,they might be already so busy with studies to have time messing with you and make sure you don't cross paths..hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't talk to each other though. She was also in the same review center as I was, but she was only there for one session. She better be studying, but I hope she'll screw it so I wouldn't have to see her in the succeeding years hahaha. Kidding aside, I saw her again today 😧.

      Delete
    2. hahaha that sounds bad.Don't let her get the satisfaction of knowing you're afraid/worried/intimidated by her.πŸ˜‰ So just ignore her hahaha!! O right I remember you said from one of your entries you are from huasiong?Ledesma or Main?

      Delete
    3. Hahaha hope she doesn't read this nalang πŸ˜‚

      Sa main πŸ˜ƒ How about you?

      Delete
    4. Hahaha hope so.πŸ˜‚ ohh I was just thinking maybe batch mate or schoolmate ng brothers ko.But I guess not.Sa ledesma sila.

      Delete
    5. You mean Ledesco? It's a pretty cool place. I've been there too for some events the school has.

      Delete
    6. Hahaha bloopers for me.Yeah I meant ledesco.I don't know where I got that ledesma.hahaha I know right!But pretty boring living inside a dormitory you know.You only get to go outside during weekends mostly sundays

      Delete
    7. Oh I forgot to say don't worry too much.It really doesn't matter anymore if what's your pre-med. We just have to study very very hard.πŸ˜†πŸ˜„πŸ€“πŸ€“πŸ€“

      Delete
    8. It's a pretty common family name, so I understand how it is easily confused with haha.

      Yep, you're right. No phones, exercise during mornings, can't go outside campus unless there is a need for that, but we get to play during Saturday nights instead of tsi shu pan hours.

      Yeah, let's study very very hard. Thank goodness for the activities on Thursday. I'd really like to make new friends and have study buddies ehehehe.

      Delete
    9. Yeah you got that right.I am one of those who got confused.hahahaha I can't really tell but I take your word for that.Be careful of choosing study buddies hehehe make sure you mingle with the ones that studies smart and really smart.hehehe God bless!

      Delete
    10. Yes, of course. Smart ones are the priority haha, but also basically, company keeps us sane.

      Delete
  2. Don't forget the almighty πŸ™Œ But you're too.Just the right company will keep us sane.hehehe hope we get to talk to you in person.hahaha nahiya ako kami.πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Anyways. Godbless see you around!πŸ˜†

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. madami kayo? :o

      approach lang kayo, nahihiya din ako. gusto ko rin magkafriends sa school. wala pa eh hahaha.

      Delete
    2. hahaha not much.three lang kami.Well..will try.πŸ˜… See you tom!

      Delete
    3. Madami na yun sa iisang account πŸ˜‚ see you guys tomorrow 🀘

      Delete
    4. Yllika, kakakuha ko lang ng study load. nakuha mo na din sayo? ang gulo ng sched, bakit may conflicts? sa gabi ba yung iba hanggang midnight?

      Delete
    5. Hahaha ako lang kasi nagrereply eh.πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
      Yep nakuha ko nadin study load ko.Parang ok naman sya.Akala ko din may conflict pero TTh pala yung TT then TF is Thurs fri.hehehe kasi if iplot mo na ganyan,la naman conflict slr talaga.nabusy kunu.πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚

      Delete
    6. meron pala sa bulletin board xD

      anong section ka po?

      Delete
    7. yes sa bulletin board meron.nyahaha section C.πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜΅ nagcount ka talaga ng pages?πŸ˜‚ basta importante matapos mo yan before monday and tuesday na naabsorb mo lahat ah.

      Delete
    8. syempre gulat na gulat ako hahahaha ang dami pala. may exam na din kayo?

      Delete
    9. uyy don't get the wrong idea ha.hahaha ganyan lang ako ayaw ko lang kasi mapressure kasi di gagana yan utak ko pag ganyan.oo may exam din kami at ang dami langπŸ˜‚πŸ˜΅πŸ˜΅πŸ˜΅ pero positive side lang,kaya to!!πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

      Delete
    10. hahaha madami nagsasabi eh wag daw ako magbilang ng pages tuwing nagbabasa, pero ngayon alam ko na bakit. para di lang ma pressure.

      sa akin lang kase gusto ko magset ng timeline kung ilang sections ididivide ko sa oras hehehe XD at the same time gulat talaga ako hahahaha. hindi na ako makapag mall neto sa weekends lol

      Delete
    11. oo ok din yan basta kung ano works better for you.hahaha

      ikaw gud kung mapagkasya mo pa magmall wala pipigil sayo.hahaha

      Delete
    12. hahaha siga na eto na basa na ulit tayo xD good luck din sa monday ate xD

      Delete
    13. Hahaha goodluck and God bless sa monday..maningkamot gid ta.πŸ˜…πŸ˜Š

      Delete
    14. halong kag enjoy sa weekends naton

      Delete
  3. My turn to go back to school is coming up soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be waiting for your entry doc Simon :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SWU-MHAM It Is

Enrolling Part 2